Google Analytics

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DIY Arduino Ambilight using ShiftBrites



This is my DIY Ambilight for my home theater PC. In this tutorial I plan to give detailed instructions on how to build a multichannel Arduino-based Ambilight for about $40 plus the Arduino which can be reused for other projects.  The bill of materials include 6+ ShiftBrites (your call, I wouldn't do less than 6 though), a printed circuit board, wire, and headers.  Additionally this will require all of the components needed to get over 0.5 Amps at 5.5-9V DC on to the board to drive the ShiftBrites; this cannot be reasonably done over USB power.  My ultimate goal here is to give others some ideas on how to go about this project for less money than it would cost to essentially buy everything in a kit.  I went in to this trying to be resourceful and I feel pretty good about how it turned out.  If this guide has been helpful, please consider donating.


 















The first challenge was to construct my own ShiftBrite Shield.  They can be purchased from Macetech's store, but I wasn't interested in spending that much money on one when I could build what I needed for a fraction of that cost.  As you can see, my ShiftBrite Shield is a bit more complex than Macetech's because I didn't have a transformer that could push enough amperage at those voltages.  My solution was to use a 12V 2A transformer and step the voltage down using an LM317T voltage regulator.  Here is a rough design of my board.  The resistors represent the total resistance of the line (ie. 2 x 470Ω in parallel = 235Ω and 1.2kΩ + 100Ω = 1.3kΩ).  I've since added a power switch, but that should be simple enough to figure out.  If you have a 7V 1A transformer then the voltage regulator stuff can be skipped.  It is probably a really good idea to have at least a 1000µF capacitor (if not the 100µF as well) to help eliminate some line noise.



It may be important to point out here that the ground from the ShiftBrite Shield is connected to the ground of the Arduino.  This is necessary for the clock to work.  Also, make sure you don't send any voltage down an Arduino port or you could damage your device.

Additionally, unless you want to write your own code to handle sending packets to the ShiftBrites, the pins of the Arduino need to be mapped to these PWM pins on the ShiftBrite.  The Arduinoatmo Google Code site has some nice and efficient code to bitshift and use SPI to determine when to continue without using the dreaded delay function.  More on the code later - just make sure you know what you are doing if you use different pins.



As you can see above, you will likely need a decent heatsink for the LM317T to dissipate any heat.  This fairly large heatsink gets pretty hot to the touch after a few hours of operation.





Since I'm opting to use the materials that I have on hand to do this, I decided against buying cables as I have a ton of Cat5 laying around.  I needed 6 pins, so I cut off the blue wires and made sure to wire everything up the same way on both ends.  Once I finished wiring the ShiftBrites, I went back and applied hot glue to act as an insulator between the wires.  When wiring your ShiftBrites, take note that the Data/Latch/Enable/Clock pins are labeled I and O (as in Input and Output) and not 1 and 0.  Embarrassingly I did not pick up on that right away and was wondering why it would not work when I sent a signal over the D0 pins but did on the D1 pins.    


As you can see, I'm using ShiftBrite 1.0 because while I was building this version 2.0 came out.  One of the main changes to the design was to add a power filtering capacitor to the device.  As awesome as these devices are, they definitely need the capacitor.  Granted this 2200µF capacitor is overkill, it is what I had on hand.  I started with 2 of these capacitors on my chain, but because of noise issues that I was having, I went back and put a 220µF capacitor on every other ShiftBrite 1.0 in my chain.

On to the software.  For my setup, I'm using boblight on Fedora to capture from X11 because Mythtv does not have this functionality built in.  VLC and AtmoWin work very well on Windows if you are going that route.  Either way we get the same packet information to the Arduino over the serial interface. Fun3 has some good technical info on the Atmolight protocol.  Basically we get 4 bytes and then 14 bytes of actual data per packet.  The packet and protocol information is good to understand, but largely inconsequential if you are using the Arduino sketch from the Arduinoatmo project because it will handle things for you.

The next step is to upload the software to the Arduino.  It's probably a good idea to start with some sketches that don't require any input from the computer.  This will allow you to test your hardware setup on its own.  Both of these sketches require you to change the pinout to what we are using.

 

 The former is Macetech's code, the latter is Ashley Hughes' code - both modified to use the pinout described for the DIY ShiftBrite Shield.  Whichever way you go, you should be able to get the ShiftBrites to do something at this point.

For this to work with your videos, you need to get boblight compiled or installed on your HTPC.  I could not find an RPM for Fedora (although I'm sure they exist), but compiling it from source was pretty simple.  Just follow the instructions on the project wiki.  It wasn't any harder than installing the dependencies listed with yum (replace 'apt-get' with 'yum' on Fedora), running the ./configure script and then running make. 

Once that is set up, we need to configure boblight.  Below is my boblightd.conf file:

 [global]
timeout         20
interface       127.0.0.1
port            19333
interpolation   on
proportional    100.0
saturation      3.0
value           10.0
valuerange      0.0 1.0
use             yes
method          average
threshold       20

[device]
name            ambilight
type            atmo
output          "/dev/ttyACM0"
rate            38400
channels        15

interval        200
prefix          FF

[color]
name            red
rgb             FF0000
gamma           1.0
adjust          1.0
blacklevel      0.0

[color]
name            green
rgb             00FF00
gamma           1.0
adjust          1.0
blacklevel      0.0

[color]
name            blue
rgb             0000FF
gamma           1.0
adjust          1.0
blacklevel      0.0

[light]
name            center
color           red     ambilight 1
color           green   ambilight 2
color           blue    ambilight 3
hscan           25 75
vscan           25 75
 

[light]
name            left
color           red     ambilight 4
color           green   ambilight 5
color           blue    ambilight 6
hscan           0 10
vscan           0 100

[light]
name            right
color           red     ambilight 7
color           green   ambilight 8
color           blue    ambilight 9
hscan           90 100
vscan           0 100

[light]
name            top
color           red     ambilight 10
color           green   ambilight 11
color           blue    ambilight 12
hscan           0 100
vscan           0 15

[light]
name            bottom
color           red     ambilight 13
color           green   ambilight 14
color           blue    ambilight 15
hscan           0 100
vscan           85 100


This goes in the file: /etc/boblightd.conf.  When boblightd gets executed, it will run in the background listening for something to tell it what to do.  To break it down, boblightd talks to the serial interface on the Arduino over USB and listens for data from another program.  In this case I'm using boblight-X11 - a program that will run on the current X11 session and grab images from X11, process them, and send the information to boblightd which will in turn process it into the proper protocol (atmo) and then send the data to the specified device.  If you want to learn more about the protocol that you are using, it is easy enough to send the output of the boblight daemon to a text file so you can look at the data being sent; just replace /dev/ttyACM0 in my config file to the location of a file on the hard disk.  

So how can we find out what to put in the device field so boblight can talk to the Arduino?  Start by running 'tail -f /var/log/messages' from a shell.  You will likely see some things scroll by as DHCP leases get renewed and whatnot.  When you plug in your Arduino to a USB port, it should read something like this:

kernel: [453420.004354] usb 3-2: USB disconnect, address 7
kernel: [453422.904031] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 8
kernel: [453423.052623] usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=2341, idProduct=0001
kernel: [453423.052629] usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=220
kernel: [453423.052633] usb 3-2: Product: Arduino Uno
kernel: [453423.052635] usb 3-2: Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
kernel: [453423.052638] usb 3-2: SerialNumber: 6493534363335130B041
kernel: [453423.054731] cdc_acm 3-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Typically it will be something like ttyS0, ttyUSB0, or in my case, ttyACM0.  Simply put the device path into the boblight config file.  Once boblightd is running, the Rx light on the Arduino should be flashing pretty rapidly or on constantly.

By default boblightd does not fork, so if you want to run it from a startup script you need to call it with the -f parameter or it will die when the startup script is done.  Also by default boblight-X11 only samples the screen once every .5 seconds. I call 'boblight-X11 -t 0.1' so it samples it 10 times a second.  The behavior of this is up to you.  Be sure to use top to see how much CPU usage these two programs are using. 'top -d 1' will give you one second updates.  It should be using no more than 5% CPU on a reasonably new machine.  

Mounting the ShiftBrites to your television/display is going to likely be the last challenge in this project. After bouncing some ideas off of my friends, I decided to go with plexiglass mounted to the back of the TV by the wall mount holes.  On my Samsung the screws were 6 mm with 1.00 threads.  I used 40 mm long screws with full threads to make sure the plexiglass was far enough from the back of the display so it could vent.  I used 2 washers and a nut all tightened to the head to hold the plexiglass in place and another nut that would be tightened against the TV itself to hold the whole setup securely.  






 My power cable had enough room in the spacing to be manipulated, but the input cables did not.  Since I wanted a ShiftBrite at the bottom corner, I had to cut out a space for the input cables but leave a place for the LED.  We won't talk about the horrible job I did cutting it, but it works.






I needed to find a way to aim the ShiftBrites once I mounted them.  I didn't want to have them aimed directly back on to the wall, so again I looked for an unorthodox solution and found one in my wife's wedge-shaped makeup applicator sponges. Hot glue seemed to be a good adhesive choice since it is strong and I know I can get it off of the ShiftBrites without damaging the subcomponents.  The mass of tape on the left is that 220µF capacitor mentioned earlier.






Here is what the back of my TV looks like with the plexiglass and all of the ShiftBrites mounted.  As you can see, some of the LEDs (like the top center) need to be aimed a bit better.  But this is the gist of my mounting solution.  

The last thing that I needed to do is to find a good diffuser to put over the ShiftBrites.  Because of the proximity of my television to the wall I get some odd colors on the wall.  For example when a ShiftBrite is shining white, I can see the green subLED pretty strongly.  My solution to this was to cut up the flat sides of a plastic water jug in 2.5" squares.  I stapled two together on the edge of one side and attached them to the pieces of foam.  This acts as a good enough diffuser until I am able to find something better. 

Here is a sample video of what my DIY Arduino Ambilight looks like.  



Here are a couple of other example of what it looks like after I added the diffusers.  There's not much color on the first one, but it illustrates some of the difficulty that the ShiftBrites have with displaying pure white without seeing the individual subLEDs.  If you look really closely you can see some green tints in the video when there is only supposed to be white.  Those tints were really well defined and annoying before the diffusers and are almost unnoticeable in person after the diffusers. 





I'd love to hear any ideas that anyone else has on this or a similar project!  Please leave any comments below.  If this has been helpful, please consider donating. 


Quick $10
Other Amount


Disclaimer: I've tried to reduce errors, exaggerations, and outright lies in this tutorial.  If I missed something, something is wrong, or you have questions then please post below and I'll update the info in the post.  If you build one of these devices and it burns your house down then I cannot be held liable, yet I offer my condolences.  If you attempt to hold me responsible then I *will* laugh at you. This information is provided as-is with no warranty.

Creative Commons License

This article and contents therein by Don Howdeshell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

19 comments:

  1. VERY nicely done... the Futurama demo shows it off well. As the orange tower passes offscreen on the left, you can really see the color adjust.

    How much bandwidth is used by the computer to serial connection? I suspect not much. If that is the case, it would be relatively easy to make "wireless" versions which got instructions via 433MHz (etc.) RF12B transceiver modules which are like $8 each. You drive the shiftbrights with a computer that is located somewhere else (ie, your laptop).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I specifically included Futurama not only because I love the show, but because of the orange tower on the left. I'm glad someone else noticed that.

    The datarate between the PC and the Arduino is 38400 baud, so I'm sure it would work just fine over over those wireless modules.

    I'm running MythTV, VLC, and Mplayer on this system, so everything that I playback gets displayed through X11. This made the decision to capture the display data this way very easy. If you want to do something else, such as have the content be driven over your laptop wirelessly to your your TV then that would introduce another set of problems that you would have to solve. The concept is quite intriguing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so any chance of a way to run on OSX? i now macs are not as loved but its a great HTPC? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reasonably certain that boblight will not compile in any reasonable way on OS X, so you cannot use it to process any video as you can on Windows and Linux. However, you can use the atmolight plugin for VLC on OS X and it would be completely compatible with my rig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe stupid question, but is it possible to use it with XBMC in Win7 as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely. Get boblight for Windows here: http://blogger.xs4all.nl/loosen/articles/408218.aspx (at the bottom). This will send the same data to Arduino as boblight in Linux does. Because of the way MS does things in NT 6.x you will have to disable Aero to get it to work right. Once boblight is running, it will send the data that gets the screen from any program, including XBMC, Firefox, or Windows Media Player.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Don,
    I just wanted to tell, that I was convinced to press the "Donate" button...
    I want to build this project as well.
    I ordered all required parts (incl. Arduino Uno) and I´m curious, if all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the donation! If you run into any problems or have any additional questions post on here and I'll make a point to answer them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like what you have done here.
    Is there a "computer-less" way to do this? I really like the ambilight mods, but most of what I watch is off of my ps3/hdmi. I have googled around for a way to make it work with the ps3 system but it seems there really isnt a great way around it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There really isn't any good way to do this without a computer. HDMI is a 'protected' interface and tapping in to that could cause the HDCP software to determine that it is no longer secure.

    Additionally, you would need something that is robust enough to process the number of frames and then feed that data to the LEDs.

    Theoretically if you were able to capture data from HDMI without violating the HDCP, or more likely simply output NTSC via composite, and you fed that to a board that could decode the frames and get color information, then you could pass that data to an Arduino to drive the LEDs.

    I do know that Arduinos have video shields for HDMI and NTSC/composite, but I seriously doubt that they have the horsepower to compute the color data from the video frames. It'd be really, really cool if I were wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Don,

    I have 2 questions. First, I see you have 6 lights, but the boblight file you show has 5 lights. How did you split them up? I've tried working it out myself but can't come up with a 5 set combination.
    Second, would it be possible to do this with 10 or 12 lights with each light distinct from the others? i.e. you have six lights split up to 5 lights, could I do 12 lights where each can display the individual color of the point on the screen closest to it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. With the 5 lights question, the atmolight protocol, as far as I know, supports up to 15 channels. R,G,B * 5 lights. What I'm doing is having the 2 lights on the sides show the same thing. It averages along the left or right 10% of the screen.

    The answer to your second question is something that I haven't explored yet. I've since added 2 more lights to my setup so I now have 8: 3 on top, 2 on each side, and one on the bottom. I've messed with adding more, but it looks like I'll have to rewrite the Arduino program and use a different protocol in order to support it.

    When I made this my goal in mind was to have something better than the plethora of single channel atmolight clones that are out there. I didn't realize that I, as well as everyone else, would be interested in doing 20+ channels :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you'd need to use a different protocol. (I'm completely new to this whole arena) Do you have the updated code for the 8 lights? Also, I assume that I'd need to use the voltage regulator for a 7W 2A transformer? (the one listed on macetech's site) Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So boblight supports different protocols, or rules for transferring data. This is under the [type] heading of the boblight.conf file. Look at the wiki for that Google code project for what protocols that it supports.

    If you use the 7V@2A transformer that Macetech sells then you can completely bypass the voltage regulator part of this ShiftBrite Shield.

    The updated code for the 8 lights is all done on the Arduino side of things. As far as boblight cares, it monitors 5 regions as defined by the [light] sections. The part that you need to update is outlined in the arduinoatmo project. Basically there is a line at the top and an array index closer to the bottom. Read their wiki and it will tell you exactly what to do to have 2 lights or 40. Let me know if it's too confusing or anything and I'll try to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I just wanted to say thanks. I was coming back to a shiftbrite project and was getting nonstop random flickering regardless of the code on my Arduino, but I had neglected to attach the ground pin on the shiftbrites to the 'duino ground. A common ground between the two solved the problems, and I'm sure some extra bulk capacitance on the Shiftbrites power rails will solve the lingering intermittent flickers I'm getting while my code is running. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad this helped you out! Do you have a link to the project that you are working on?

      Delete
  16. Not yet; I've been wildly procrastinating again, and I think the gamma correction code I've cobbled together with the help of different examples on the 'net is giving me results that aren't consistent with how I think things should be working. I'll definitely post up the results once I get stuff working in a more reasonable fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome :) Please considering sharing this in our idea campaign http://app.theinnovationloop.com/coach/campaigns/what-would-you-build-with-the-new-raspberry-pi-zero-for-dollar5/brief

    ReplyDelete
  18. titanium engagement rings for her - Tinnite-arts
    Get premium Titanium-Arts materials from TITICIAN titanium muzzle brake ARTICALS and provide blue titanium cerakote exclusive titanium watch band online pricing. TITICIAN damascus titanium ARTICALS have the best materials and performance mens titanium wedding bands

    ReplyDelete